Skip to main content

Squash Puppies Recipe

I was thrilled to find this recipe! If you're anything like I am, you have loads of squash coming from your CSA, farmer market, or your own garden! These were a hit with they hubby who rarely touches a squash, and even my kids ate them without a big "ewwww, it's disgusting!" :)

The recipe is based on the one by Spicy Southern Kitchen. We ended up removing the cayenne and jalapeño, but only because we didn't have it on hand. Those would be yummy, too! I'll list below our modification.

Ingredients



  • 5 medium-sized yellow squash

  • ¾ cup self-rising yellow cornmeal

    • We found gluten free cornmeal and added a bit of baking powder, salt, and all-purpose flour to make a "self-rising" version. This recipe does not need to be "exact" to succeed. :)



  • ¼ cup all-purpose flour (You can easily substitute gluten-free flours if necessary.)

  • 1 tablespoon sugar

  • 1 teaspoon salt, divided

  • ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (we omitted and used 1 tablespoon chili powder)

  • ½ a medium sweet onion, minced (be sure to chop finely)

  • ½ a jalapeno, finely minced

  • 1-2 drops Black Pepper Vitality™ essential oil (Another option is to use black pepper but this happens to be a spice we don't keep in our house, and we love using essential oils in cooking, anyway.)

  • ½ cup buttermilk

  • 1-2 eggs, lightly beaten

  • Cooking oil (I used avocado)


Instructions



  1. Chop off ends of squash, cut in half lengthwise and then into 2-inch pieces. Place in a steamer basket and place basket in a pot over simmering water. Place a lid on the pot, turn heat to low and steam squash for 12-15 minutes or until squash is very tender.

  2. Place squash in a medium bowl and mash well with a fork. This ended up not working for me so I added water to my Vitamix and shredded it. This required additional draining time for the squash.

  3. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, black pepper essential oil, and chili powder.

  4. Mix together to bowl with squash, add onion, jalapeño, buttermilk, and egg. Mix together well.

  5. Add squash mixture to cornmeal mixture and stir just until blended.

  6. Pour oil to a depth of 1 inch in a deep cast iron skillet or a Dutch oven. Heat oil to 350 degrees. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into oil and fry until golden brown on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon salt while still hot.


It's quite possible you'll need to add 1/2 or so additional cornmeal if you ended up with excess squash or if the mixture is too wet. You want the batter slightly more liquid-y than pancake batter.

Enjoy!

[caption id="attachment_325" align="alignnone" width="300"]squash puppies Squash Puppies—Frying[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_326" align="alignnone" width="300"]squash puppies Squash Puppies—Allow to drain on paper towel immediately after frying.[/caption]

What about you? What are your favorite ways to use summer squash? Let me know in the comments! I'd love some more ideas!

Popular posts from this blog

Slique in 60 Challenge!

January 9 - March 10 https://youtu.be/lqSFgjDgY0E Are you looking forward to 2017 goals with anticipation? I don't know about you; I'm ready to feel more energy and to keep improving in areas of business and other personal growth! I'd love for you to lock arms with me and join this challenge that Young Living has put together! The best parts? There is a no fuss, money-back guarantee! There are some awesome prizes! (More about that is below.) If you complete the entire 60-day challenge, everyone earns a prize! You are not alone! Grab an accountability partner, commit to yourself that you can do this , and also join the Facebook group(s) for support! (Hear details in the video.) My personal goals (and also my commitments during the 60-day challenge) are as follows: Lose 5-10 pounds. (This is not all about vanity. Look up "risks of belly fat." I've allowed eating habits to slip into dangerous territory for my long-term health!)  Exercise 3-4 times

Make the Effort Without Guarantees

Effort This quote from Dani Johnson is true in so many types of goals in life: fitness, wellness and business come to mind the most! Do you really believe you can do it? Do you feel you're worth it?  Are you ready to put forth the work and commitment to feel better, have more energy, or achieve your dreams in business? "Ninety-eight percent of the population won't put forth the effort to do something until they know what they are going to get out of it. They are looking for guarantees."   - Dani Johnson We have to try! Keep consistent work each day or week. Continue learning. Keep an open mind. You can not fail if you do not quit! For me, it applies to my wellness goals and my business goals. I'm constantly learning and don't want to give up! What about you? To what area of life does this speak?

Self Care

How Do You Practice Self-Care? My beautiful cousin Haley blogs over at haleymorganbossart.com and her latest post reminded me about a blog I want to do about self care! I currently work full time outside the home, as well as run my online business. I have two children and a spouse, and as you can imagine, finding "me" time is difficult to come by easily. We simply must make ourselves the priority, ladies (along with our faith, that is)! Stop saying "Oh, I need a massage. I'll schedule that 'sometime'!" You know the old saying: "Ain't momma happy, ain't nobody happy!" ;) As part of my self-care regimen, I recently started pre-scheduling regular chiropractic and half-hour massage visits. I go to my massage first with my favorite therapeutic massage oils in hand (she is wonderful about allowing me to bring whatever oils I need for my massage or my eyebrow waxing, too), and then head to my favorite chiropractor ! This works out amazingly